Sunday, September 26, 2010

Church doesn't have to be lame

People think that the Catholic Church is crazy...and they would be correct. It;s full of crazy-super-conservative people that like to yell and blow up abortion clinics. But luckily we aren't all like that. Yesterday I went to see my Grandma as per usual on a Sunday. My mom and I took her to church and there is a new-ish priest there. I've never heard mass from him before but the mom has and she said he's really cool and that I'd like him.

Now, this is saying something. Not that I'm super picky and stuck up. I'm not!! It's just that I don't really agree with a lot of what the Catholic church has to say. I'm a pretty liberal person and I'm pretty accepting of whatever the hell you feel like doing. Go on you transsexual lesbians!!

Anyway, this guy was pretty freakin' awesome. (Can I use a slang curse to describe a priest?!) He was very personable. He doesn't like extraneous singing or super long prayers. Get to the point is the way he is. He doesn't even want announcements at the end because "People can read the bulletin" and he wants to get out of there just as much as the rest of us.

He definitely puts off a I'm-not-a-run-of-the-mill-priest persona. He wore Velcro sandals and I'm pretty sure he was wearing shorts under his vestments. He talked about his service work at the local jail and he even prayed for the priest on administrative leave.*

*First of all, priests have black clothes with a collar to wear under their vestments. So the shorts thing is like, WHOA! And second, no one, and I mean NO ONE ever ever ever speaks about the priests on administrative leave that were accused of child molestation. These man are like that freaky cousin you only pull out for Christmas cards and you never hear from them until next year.

Anyway, I really did enjoy him. On his way up to the altar his fist bumped a little girl and he tried to leave with the little kids who go down to their own bible reading during mass. He gave a really inspiring sermon about continuing to help others even when you've been stomped on and walked all over and taken advantage of. I've been feeling like this has been happening to me a lot lately and it helped me to see that I help people because I like to and that it is a good thing that I do. Maybe they will pass on the helping hand to someone else or they will be really grateful and do something in return. Either way it doesn't matter because I can know that I helped someone without expecting anything in return and that's exactly what I want to do. I like helping people. I just don't enjoy being taken advantage of, but that is just part of the job, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment