Thursday, January 27, 2011

Well that's weird...


I've been wanting to write this post for a bit of time now. It's the things I find a bit odd about living in a major city and not in little old, Stow.

1) Where the hell is the grass?!

Seriously, there is nothing green around here. And yes, I know it's the dead of winter, I'm not a complete idiot, but there aren't trees or grass or anything. There are a couple of parks but they are small and not nearby. I miss those kinds of things.

Some of my favorite relaxing happens on a blanket or a lo
unge chair on the grass. I like to sit outside and read for school, but I don't think I'll be doing that...that STINKS!

And the trees are funny. Most look like Whomping Willows from Harry Potter, and no, I'm not kidding.
Yes, that's Taylor, lurking once again in the corner of one of my photos.

2) Nothing here tastes the same.

I know that in Europe, they use less preservatives and stuff, but wouldn't that make the things i make taste better? I mean, don't get me wrong, some of it is SUPER delicious, but some of their stuff just doesn't taste the same. Like today I made my taco dip because we're watching movies later and we girls like to gorge ourselves on food and then complain about how fat me are. It just doesn't taste as good. I think it's the mayo and the sour cream. And the taco seasoning is really strong. i don't know...UGH!

Side note: Made some fancy macaroni and cheese last night and it was flipping delicious! Nothing like homemade mac n' cheese made with FRESH cheeses...

3) Sounds are weird too...

I cannot tell you how much I miss the familiarity of the sounds of Ohio. I know that's weird, but it's true.

For example, sirens. Our sirens are that normal "wooo-wooo" sound. Here they are really annoying. I can't describe it for some reason...but you know what I'm talking about. They're in movies when there are cop chases in Europe. I feel like I'm in a movie every time I hear them.

Also, there are no train sounds. I love hearing the train whistles at home. They are soothing because I've always heard them. I don't have that here even though I live down the street from the train station. They are queit trains, which is also weird.

Then there is the annoying bottle rattling at about 2 a.m. every day. I don't know what's going on, but it sound like someone is taking out their recycling or someone is going through it to get bottles for money. I want to thrown something at them every day but since I'm only ever half conscious and cozy in my bed, that has yet to happen. I'm lying in wait Mr. Bottle Man....I'm lying in wait.

Plus it's just loud ALL THE TIME. I can't live in the city when I get older. It's been decided. I like my little suburban life.

The good thing is that the chocolate is delicious! NOM. :D

I know this probably sounded whiney, but it wasn't meant to. Just describing the out of elementness that I'm experiencing.

2 comments:

  1. When I'm not in Ohio I miss the bridges. I pass or go under over 25 on my way to work every day. Out of Ohio, no bridges! It's horrifying.

    You mentioned my number one reason I'll never actually move to new york no matter how much I want to: grass. The look, the smell... you can't see it here right now because of the snow, but it's February... those buds will be popping out soon. Maybe I'll mail you some grass. It'll probably be dead by then though. Maybe I won't mail you grass.

    And I absolutely love how you're complaining about having a million creeper pictures of Taylor... LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please bring me back a whomping willow. I'm sure customs will have no problem with that.
    And buy some earplugs!

    ReplyDelete